One of the most contentious issues in divorce is that of property distribution. When couples don’t have prenuptial or postnuptial agreements in place, their marital assets are at stake. Our job is to help protect your hard-earned assets. For assistance with property distribution matters and other complicated divorce issues, contact an experienced Bergen County, New Jersey marital property lawyer at HD Family Law today.
Bergen County Lawyer | Helping Clients in NY & NJ through Marital Property Disputes
Determining how to divide property, bank accounts, retirement, pension funds and any other asset or debt that accrued during the marriage can be among the most stressful aspects of a divorce. New York and New Jersey are both “equitable distribution” states, which means that any assets and liabilities acquired during your marriage are deemed “marital property” and are subject to equitable distribution between both parties. If you’re looking to protect what’s rightfully yours, you need a competent Hackensack, New Jersey divorce lawyer in your corner. Our legal team is here to fight for you.
Marital Property Vs. Separate Property
Property that was acquired before your marriage or inherited or received as a gift from someone other than your spouse is generally considered separate property. However, in certain circumstances, it may be included in marital property, particularly if commingled with marital assets.
Protecting Your Interests
In order to best support our clients, we have developed strong relationships with a number of financial specialists including appraisers, real estate agents, pension evaluators, forensic accountants, actuaries, and more. This allows us to:
- Properly value holdings such as investment real estate, pension, and retirement accounts
- Understand a family or cash business spreadsheet in order to properly determine its value
- Uncover hidden assets, both domestically and internationally, deferred income, and other less obvious marital property
- Understand tax statements, balance sheets, and other financial records that may play a role in child support, spousal support, and property division matters
- Help prioritize your assets, property, and business interests in order to protect such interests against the possibility of divorce when drafting pre and postnuptial agreements
Contact Helen M. Dukhan at HD Family Law for Advice
When you need help with complex property division issues including divorces with high-value assets or negotiating spousal support, our firm is well-equipped to assist you. Property division matters can be complicated and contentious. Don’t let this cause additional anxiety or stop the process altogether. Call our family law attorneys at 866.937.9990 or contact us online for help throughout the five boroughs and New Jersey. Schedule your initial case review today.