Are you considering filing for divorce in New Jersey or New York? Have you been served with papers for divorce? If so, an experienced Hackensack, New Jersey divorce lawyer from HD Family Law stands at the ready to protect your rights and interests. We know that a divorce or any type of family-related legal matter can have potentially life-changing repercussions. Our firm can be trusted to guide your steps toward a resolution that can give you the best possible post-divorce future. Retain the tough and effective counsel your family deserves during this uncertain time. Call HD Family Law at (866) 937-9990 or contact us online today.
Getting a Divorce? Our Hackensack, New Jersey Lawyer Can Help
Here at HD Family Law, we believe that clients deserve personalized and effective legal representation, especially when facing such a pivotal moment in their lives, such as going through a divorce. Our Hackensack, New Jersey divorce lawyer can effectively guide you through all phases of the divorce process, including matters such as:
- Business Owner Divorce
- High Net Worth Divorce
- Post-Judgment Modification
- Marital Property
When you hire us, we don’t take our responsibility to you lightly. Once you partner with our firm, we will dedicate all our energy to representing you in your case. If you need a Bergen County, New Jersey family law attorney to guide you through any divorce or family law-related matter, such as child custody, child support, adoption, or relocation, you’ve come to the right place.
Residency Requirements for Divorce in New York & New Jersey
There will be a number of issues to address prior to filing for divorce in both the state of New Jersey and New York. For example, if filing in New York, You or your spouse must fulfill the residency requirement of living in the state of New York. You or your spouse must prove one of the following:
- You have lived in NY for two consecutive years prior to starting the divorce process
- You lived in NY for at least one year and your ceremony was performed in
- NY State or you lived in NY as married persons
- You lived in NY for at least one year and the grounds for divorce happened in NY
- You and your spouse are residents of NY (for any length of time) and the grounds for divorce happened in NY
In addition to New York’s residency requirements, you must fulfill one or more of the grounds for divorce, which include:
- Irretrievable breakdown in the relationship (no-fault divorce)
- Living separate and apart (by a separation agreement or other decree)
- Cruel, inhuman treatment
The state of New Jersey also has Residency Requirements & Grounds for divorce, which although are very similar to the requirements of New York, have minor differences. Our Hackensack, New Jersey divorce lawyer has extensive experience in both New York and New Jersey and can explain all such intricacies to you.
Uncontested Divorce Vs. Contested Divorce
Divorce proceedings can be contested or uncontested. A contested divorce can occur when the separating spouses cannot reach an agreement on one or more issues pertaining to the divorce. This can include disagreements arising from child support, child custody, or property division. On the other hand, an uncontested divorce can occur when the separating spouses agree on all elements pertaining to the divorce. Typically, uncontested divorce is reserved for families involving no minor children, limited debt, or smaller marital property.
Why is HD Family Law the Right Choice for Your Family?
We proudly help our clients through every stage of the divorce process, whether through negotiation, litigation, or mediation. Our divorce lawyers can be trusted to provide you with legally sound guidance and advocacy that not only protects your best interests but can help ensure the best possible results for your family’s post-divorce life.
- Experience Matters. Our lawyers bring years of trial experience, legal knowledge, and negotiation skills to the table. From appearing on your behalf in court to planning your case, we have the ability to handle every aspect of a family law matter.
- We Are Zealous Advocates. We are sensitive to the way these types of legal matters can impact your life. We have prevailed in all aspects of divorce for husbands and wives alike by zealously representing them from beginning to end.
- You Deserve Compassionate Counsel. No matter how complex your case may seem, we provide support so you can make empowered decisions. As you move through a deeply emotional time, we will hold you and your children in the highest regard.
- We Make the Process Simple. Divorce doesn’t always have to be hard or involve arduous litigation. We can educate you regarding your choices so you can arrive at a positive post-divorce future.
Contact a New Jersey Divorce Lawyer Today
If you have questions about your rights or would like to discuss the next steps in your particular legal matter, do not wait another moment to speak with us. Our divorce lawyers proudly serve families and individuals in Bergen County and throughout New Jersey, including in Passaic County, Sussex County, Morris County, Union County, Essex County, and Hudson County. We also represent clients throughout New York City, including Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island. Contact a compassionate and skilled Hackensack, New Jersey divorce lawyer from HD Family Law today so you can tell us your story and so we can begin fighting for the best outcome possible on your behalf.